Although some people hold an irrational fear of doing so, visiting your local dentist is essential for maintaining your oral health and well-being. Whether you have concerns about your smile, are experiencing tooth pain, or are overdue for a regular check-up, general dentistry services can address your oral health needs. From dental fillings to teeth cleanings, a competent dentist can ensure your teeth and gums are well cared for.
Hillcrest Dental has provided high-quality dental care to Waynesboro, VA, residents since 1953. Our personalized, patient-centered services range from general and surgical dentistry to cosmetic oral procedures. We can help you feel confident in your smile without breaking your budget. Call (434) 973-2224 or visit our website to receive a free smile consultation today.
Below, we explain the services general dentists provide:
What Is General Dentistry?
Due to their broad scope of oral health expertise, the healthcare industry regards general dentists as primary dental healthcare providers. Their specialization lies in diagnosing, treating, and preventing a wide range of mild to moderate oral health problems.
In addition to regular services, general dentists provide valuable advice on maintaining oral hygiene. Therefore, schedule regular appointments with your general dentist to ensure you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Essential General Dentistry Services
Reasons to visit a general dentist include routine check-ups, cleanings, X-rays, and treatments for common oral diseases. Moreover, you may require one or more of the following essential dentistry offerings:
- Teeth Cleanings & Exams: During a dental cleaning, a dental hygienist uses special tools to remove harmful plaque and tartar build-up. Then, during the dental exam, the dentist thoroughly assesses your mouth, teeth, and throat for signs of gum disease, cavities, tooth decay, or oral cancer. Schedule cleanings and examinations every 6 months to ensure a healthy smile and early detection of oral health issues.
- Dental Sealants & Fillings: Since 1 in 4 adults have at least one cavity, sealants and fillings are the most common dental procedure. Caregivers will apply sealants to the tooth surfaces that are cavity-prone to prevent their formation. If cavities have already caused fissures and damage in teeth, dental professionals will use fillings to repair them. Without these treatments, these damages can lead to persistent pain and infection.
- Root Canals: The notorious root canal comes into play when a tooth is significantly infected but can still be saved without an extraction. In this simple yet delicate procedure, dental professionals remove the inflamed pulp inside a tooth and disinfect the area before filling and sealing the tooth. If you fail to address such an infection, it can spread to other healthy teeth.
- Extractions: When a cavity, infection, or fracture deeply penetrates a tooth and doesn’t respond to other treatments, a tooth extraction becomes necessary. This procedure protects the surrounding teeth from potential infection by removing the problematic tooth from its socket and replacing it with a titanium or zirconium implant.
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth can develop a yellowish tint as they age. Yet comprehensive general dentistry services may include aesthetic treatments such as teeth bleaching or whitening. Professional teeth whitening offers superior results to at-home remedies by delivering longer-lasting outcomes. It’s a safe bleaching process that lightens the shade of teeth to a brilliant white.
Professional General Dentistry Services in Waynesboro, VA!
Your smile is part of your personality, so keep up-to-date on necessary general dentistry services. At Hillcrest Dental, our team leverages the latest dental technology and high-quality care to treat Waynesboro, VA, residents and families. For more information and to schedule your next appointment, call (434) 973-2224 today.